Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Taylor's Birth Story

We had a pretty big day last Thursday on through the weekend. I had my regular 37 week check up with my doctor and she said everything was looking good, I was even more effaced and my bag of water was "bulging"... Which I guess meant was closer to my water breaking and labor coming. She did an ultrasound and everything looked great until she started listening to her heartbeat, as it was only registering at about 71 and the norm is 120-170. After my doctor checking with another Doppler machine and getting the same results. I was rushed to the labor & delivery floor to get hooked up to monitors to measure her heartbeat again, but thankfully it was totally normal. They continued to monitor us for another 4-5 hrs with everything being totally normal. They took us to do another ultrasound just to make sure everything was ok, and sure enough as soon as they hooked me back up her heartbeat was reading in the 70's, and then shot back up to normal range. As a precaution, my obgyn kept us overnight for observation. I finally fell into a half sleep and around 12:30am, 4 nurses rushed in, flipped me on all fours, have me a shot to stop my minor Braxton Hicks contractions and put me on oxygen. Turns out, I had had a 3 minute long, minor, Braxton hick contraction that put her into distress and had dropped her heartbeat to the 70's again. They were able to stabilize her HB again but we found out that my obgyn would be back at 7am where she would either induce my labor or or perform a c-section to get her out. There was another episode of dropped HB a few hours later and my doctor came up at 5:30am to get the process started. After discussing with our doctor, we were urged to do a c-section due to the fact if my minor Braxton Contractions were causing distress, then it would be inevitable that active labor contractions would just turn cause more HB drops and they would then have to do an emergency c- section. We opted for the c-section and a minute later we were signing releases and I was being wheeled into the operating room. The c- Section went as planned and on Jan 6th at 6:37am, 5 lbs 11oz, 21 in long... Taylor Kay Morgan joined us! It was so surreal and happened so fast, but we are so blessed she was totally fine. Turns out issues were related to her having a very small and "puny" umbilical cord. The next few days in the hospital were a daze, but the last week and a half have been amazing. We are so in love!!! I could never imagine the way I would feel and my world would shift. Thank you God!

More blogs with pics to catch up on soon!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats, Melissa! Taylor is absolutely beautiful just like her Mama.

    ReplyDelete