I am not really sure if I am just excited that it is the holidays, bored because my husband has been out of town all week, or the nesting phase has REALLY set in! Whatever the case, it has made fore some serious projects and organization!
Last week I cam across the pinterest christmas tree out of a tomato cage and was set. So, last night I stopped by home depot and the rest is all history. I think it was quite successful and even more, really easy! Here is the original link that was posted from pinterest.
http://nedesignbuild.com/articles/?p=137
Step 1:
Buy tomato cage from Home Depot outside in gardening dept. I got (2) of the 54 in for each side of my front door. ($5/ each). I then zip-tied the top together to close the christmas tree shape. (zip ties are in electrical section in hardware store and good for EVERYTHING!)
Step 2:
Wrap Garland around tree. I used garland I had bought last year at Hobby Lobby for $3/ strand. It took about 4 strands/ tree. You can skip this step if you just want them to be light up trees in yard! The garland was moldable, so basically stayed in place, but I zip-tied in 3-4 spots to cage to make sure it didn't sag.
Step 3:
Wrap with Christmas lights. I went for basic white lights. The 300 count box for $9 at home depot covered 1 entire tree. Secure to cage in several places with zip-ties again to make sure they stay in place as needed.
Step 4: Add tree topper of your choice...I went with the silver sparkly star because it went with my wreath I already have for my front door. I found these at home depot as well for $7. A bow would also look really pretty....
Step 5: Place in pot. I thought this gave it much more of a finished look and made them taller, and much more stable. I used 2 extra large clay pots (my house is spanish style) that I already had sitting around my yard.
Total cost for me for 2 trees was $44 since I already had the garland and pots. I could have saved $14 if I had just made a bow or already had a tree topper. I took the easy route.
Sorry for the poor photos, they were all via iphone. I will post another pic once I have my entire front porch finished...it is a work in progess and I guess I am already jumping the gun since it is only mid November.
Happy Holidays!
Mis
No comments:
Post a Comment